Sunday, April 4, 2010

Gardening: Soil Test and Prep

There are two garden plots in the backyard of the house I am currently living in Atlanta, crying out to be planted. I heard their cries and solicited the help of my coworker and office-mate Kirsten to help me plant a garden this season. Neither of us have extensive gardening experience. Even though my family had a garden growing up, my memories recall the weeding more then the preparation or planting. Fortunately, we work in the Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity at the CDC and are surrounded by people with who know and know people who know.

Before

After

Last week we started our gardening efforts in earnest. We bought a soil testing kit and tested our soil to see if it was conducive to planting. While the PH was neutral, it was very low in Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosphate. That meant that yesterday we headed over to Farmer D's for fertilizer and 14 bags of compost. Even though my little Mazda has made it from Utah to Michigan with all my belongings, and from Michigan to Atlanta packed to the brim, these 14 bags of compost provided it's greatest test of strength yet.

Soil Test Results

Car of compost

Yesterday morning Kirsten and I set to work incorporating all this compost and fertilizer into our two plots. I think the before and after pictures demonstrate well enough how strenuous the task was. Lucky for us it was a beautiful morning and we are much closer to being ready to plant our garden.

Before

After



6 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

oooOO! I can't wait to see the progress of this garden. What are you going to plant?

k nelle said...

Potassium, Nitrogen and Potassium? I feel like I am not being adequately described one of the elements that you tested for? However, the garden plots look great! You will have to post the progression of your garden, as I'm sure you've inherited some kind of green thumb!

ego non said...

Awesome! I totally recommend Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Or you can also see his website

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

which, apparently says everything the book says.

mike and chenoa said...

Looks like a lot of hard work. We hope to get ours in the ground around the beginning of May (with protective cloches of course for the inevitable frosts). I have onion, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, basil and cilantro seedlings in our sun room trying to become big and strong right now.

Chris and Kristy said...

Gardening is addicting so watch out! I too love Square Foot Gardening and have been successful with it here in the land of the clay soil which kills everything! Another resource is to look up the Master Gardener website for your particular county and they'll have great advice!

Kirsten Treff said...

good luck...and another Kirsten in your life?