Sunday, September 9, 2007

Vehicular-Squirrel Slaughter (VSS)

This is not a real criminal act but it might as well be for how sad I felt after I committed VSS. Here is what the police deposition might look like if I was ever to be taken into custody for this crime:

It was lovely afternoon Friday September 7, 2007. Earlier in the day it had rained, perhaps causing unrest and a little depression among fury little creatures. I was driving home on Dexter road with my roommates, Margaret Bennett and Stephanie Rhodes, and as we were nearing our destination of 595 Landings Blvd a small woodland creature, which I identified as a squirrel, ran into the road from the right side. I swerved to miss him/her/it but because traffic was approaching in the other direction the creature suddenly started and turned around. It was right then that I felt a small bump and the creature met its maker.

Needless to say I was very startled and disturbed. After the screaming stopped and the laughing of my roommates subsided, I got a little teary-eyed. I am okay now but I feel a tinge of sadness every time I see a squirrel, and I swear they give me the evil eye knowing what I have done.

If any one has any comforting word to offer I would be most appreciative.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Matt wanted me to tell you that he hit a squirrel with his cart - twice. He feels your pain. However, Matt also catches squirrels and paints their tails red and lets them out in the wild (they ruin his golf course) .

Kirsten said...

Jessica, I would refrain from using full names and giving your address out on your blog. Sorry the privacy freak in me is coming out. Oh, I am sorry that you killed that poor defenseless squirrel who only wanted to cross the road, probably to forage for some nuts to feed his family, who are now without a bread winner.

Michele said...

Oh Jess, I'm so sorry to hear that! I made friends with the squirrels at Lion's Park last week at the MFH conference. They won't be pleased when the word gets back to them.