Monday, September 29, 2008

Politics and Religion

I rarely use my blog as a political platform other than the occasional Colbert post, but this post was inspired by something I saw on CNN this morning, as well as something I heard in church yesterday. I'll start with CNN. There was segment on some Christian leaders explicitly telling their congregations to vote for John McCain or in one case not to vote for "Barak Hussein Obama". These openly political actions calls into question these institutions tax exempt status but that is not what I want to focus on, but instead share what I heard yesterday at my church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka The Mormons)

Political participation, Voting and the Political Neutrality of the Church

As citizens we have the privilege and duty of electing office holders and influencing public policy. participation in the political process affects our communities and nation today and in the future.

Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties.

Therefore, in this election year, we urge you to register to vote, to study the issues and candidates carefully and prayerfully, and then to vote for and actively support those you believe will most nearly carry out your ideas of good government. 

The Church affirms its neutrality regarding political parties, platforms, and candidates. The church also affirms its constitutional right of expression on political and social issues. 

After hearing that I wonder if there is candidate running that is wise, good and honest; I don't know but I'm narrowing my choices. What I am sure of is that I am glad for an organization that encourages its members to be educated and make informed choices in all aspects of their lives, be they political or spiritual. 



1 comment:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I agree, I was really happy when they read that. I am so glad to be part of a church that doesn't force us to vote for a certain candidate, or make us feel bad if we aren't part of a specific political party!