Thursday, October 2, 2008

I approve this message

I was talking to my supervisor at work today about the presidential commercial's phrase "I approve this message" after we watched a McCain SNL clip. We were wondering where this phrase came from so I, like an good reference librarian, turned to Wikipedia. It states:

"I approve this message" (sometimes in the past tense, with "authorize" in place of "approve," or with "ad" instead of "message") is a phrase said by candidates for federal office in political advertisements on television and radio in order to comply with the so-called "Stand By Your Ad" provision of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (BCRA), enacted in 2002, that requires "a statement by the candidate that identifies the candidate and states that the candidate has approved the communication".


I hope you enjoy the accompanying video that hilariously demonstrates uses phrase.

2 comments:

Solomon and Lyndsie said...

Jess you make me laugh!! It is so true though. Hope all is well with you and that school is enjoyable?!

mike and chenoa said...

Loved that video! Charak O'Barkley 4 Prez.