Sunday, August 30, 2009

No Impact Canoeing

Right before I started this blog post about my canoe trip last week with some friends I read an article about the eco-movement and "No Impact Man". As such I thought I would explore how I might have made a seeming low-impact activity in to a no-impact activity. First of all, none of us should be wearing life jackets, those are made of lots of high impact materials. Also we shouldn't be in a canoe the materials of which were stripped from mothers earths' bosom. Instead, we should have floated down the river on logs that had naturally died or fallen from the original tree. Our paddles should have been smaller limbs fallen from a tree whittled into paddle shapes. Finally, we should have broken down the two dams that allowed us to take a leisurely float down the river because who knows how many fishes' yearly migrations were foiled and Herons that went hungry because of man-kinds impulses to tame the elements.
Alas, I did enjoy the canoe trip and kind of agree with the "Save Argo Pond" people who don't want the Argo dam to be removed; but purely for selfish reasons, as I jog around that pond multiple times a week.
Just for fun, here's a Colbert interview with No Impact man.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Colin Beavan
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorHealth Care Protests

2 comments:

k nelle said...

Good luck canoeing on the next fallen log you find.

Mike said...

So, since I took my life jacket off, was I lower impact?