Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cemeteries


Today was stake conference, meaning church ended at noon, leaving the rest of a beautiful fall afternoon open for adventure. My adventure took the form of a jaunt through the Forest Hill Cemetery in Ann Arbor with my roommate Katherine. I love cemeteries. Generally, they are peaceful, well-kempt places. I never understood trying to frame cemeteries as spooky, eery places. I think this is disrespectful of the dead.

When I lived in Cheyenne there was a cemetery down the road where I liked to jog and take walks. I love to walk around and read head stones. Where else can you carve words like Love and Wild into stones and no one thinks twice. I also found someone named Chlorene and the grave of John Lennon's wife, although i wasn't aware Yoko Ono was deceased. The little lambs on top of children's graves break my heart but are a darling tribute. Below are some of my favorite shots.


















3 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Wow, that one with the face carved into the side is interesting. (spooky)

Those are great pictures!

mike and chenoa said...

I love the cemetery in Cheyenne!

ego non said...

I agree that the man emerging from the gravestone could be classified as creepy. No disrespect meant towards the dead man, though.