Friday, November 13, 2009

Memories

I heard an interview on NPR this week with author Zadie Smith. The interviewer asked about a few essays Zadie wrote about her deceased father. She seemed torn about writing about her father saying it is a betrayal, "once you write about someone that's died, what remains is what is written." She goes on to say it is a dangerous act as words replace memories just as photographs replace real things.

I understood that to mean once you put down into words your thoughts about someone those words influence forever your memories and thoughts of that person and events. I have been thinking about this concept lately, as my little brother has asked for stories about our mom, who died when he was 6.

I talked to him a few days ago about how we might go about recording the stories. I have mixed feelings. On one hand I'm excited to learn more about her, on the other part of me is afraid. I know it is important for historical reasons and probably for proper mourning etc. Hearing other's stories may also crystalize what "really" happened in certain cases. Nonetheless, I have very specific memories that I am afraid giving voice to may change forever.

Sometimes I think I treasure the "crafted" memories I construct in my head more than reality. I hope reality in this case doesn't bite. Here are some very cute, cool , classic pics of the lady herself:


Mom's the one in the red dress.
Mom with Mike and Kirsten
One on the far right.

2 comments:

Aunt Cathy said...

I have some wonderful memories of your mom. She always made me feel so welcome in your home. When you decide to "remember", please let me and Uncle Brian share too.

Kirsten said...

Memories, all alone in the moonlight...do you remember that video of mom hosting the TV camera crew at their house one winter? I need to figure out where that went and where it came from, possibly Aunt Cathy?