Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Strike!

I feel very fortunate today and that I am receiving the true Michigan experience and I have our GSI to thank for it. A GSI is a Graduate Student Instructor. These are people who take on a certain number of hours of teaching or grading or something that the university quantifies as important enough to subsidize their tuition or pay it altogether along with a stipend. Any way they all went on strike today for various reasons the main one dealing with their raise in pay not matching inflation and health care benefits. Unfortunately I took no pictures of picketers although I tried to find my friend Jonathan picketing in a suit, he probably looked like a member of the mafia. Instead I will use picture from the best strike musical ever, Newsies, and a pic of my friend Brian with a half-stache (I think he is a GSI). Perhaps if Christian Bale was striking here I would care more.

I am not going to get into the politics of this all. My own opinion is split as to whether this strike is really a worthwhile or not. The reason that I am loving it is because I did not have class today and will not have it again tomorrow because of the GSI walkout. Perhaps I should care that my money is going down the drain by not attending class, unfortunately none of my classes inspire such ardor. Perhaps that is the real problem. Whether this apathy is intimately linked with the GSI strike or not I can't say. All I know is tomorrow I get to sleep in, stay in my pajamas and work from home. God bless unions.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Yes, I am a GSI, and yes, I did decide to strike because it seemed like a really Michigan thing to do, plus I wanted to get a haircut on Tuesday afternoon instead of giving voice lessons. Open the gates and seize the day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.