Sunday, April 6, 2008


Last night I had a little girls night out in the form of a Newsies-Sing-Along. This sing along was inspired by the recent strike by Michigan's GSI strike- please see previous post for more info. I can't believe that this movie came out in 1992. No matter when it came out it is timeless. I just can't get enough of Christian Bale singing, dancing and doing a few pelvic thrusts.

Since all of us who got together to view the film never did work out a dance sequence together I thought the above picture would make up for that. Pictured from left to right is Leilani Hawks, Kara Stowers, Amy Jeppsen, Jessica Allen, Margaret Bennett, and Stephanie Harris.

Here is some random trivia and a little "where are they now" of some actors from this spectacular work of cinema:
Those dance scenes that we thought was reminiscent of High School Musical 2's Zack and his solo jaunt on the golf were connected. Both film had the same director, Disney veteran Kenny Ortega.

I think we all know who and where Christian Bale is, so I will do some of the more obscure characters.

While Christian Bale is a bit too old for me or my friends, the then very young Les is not. Les was played by Luke Edwards, born in 1980, he still does some acting and I think his picture speaks for itself.


Marty Belafsky played Krutchy. While he did an amazing job playing a crutch welding individual with a disability, he is better known now for his stand up comedy work.


David: His real life name is David too! David Moscow. His IMDB profile still lists some recent acting work, but Wikipedia reports him as also developing sustainable and economic housing in Harlem. I would like to think this spirit of advocacy was instilled during the filming of Newsies:)




Last but not least, although she is my least favorite character in the movie.
Sarah: Ele Keats played played Sarah and has recent work on IMDB but nothing too noteworthy. Although as the years went by she morphed from the awkward, innocent sarah of newsies to something a little racier. Even with a jaunt on "Touched by an Angel", it was not enough to keep her on the straight and narrow. A little later she was on MTV's "Undressed", and it is my objective, non-biased opinion that much of her more recent stuff seems questionable.


All I can say to end this one is open the gates and seize the day!

6 comments:

Steph said...

Ha, very cool research. We still need to put that dance routine together, though, especially now that I know what character I'm supposed to be.

mike and chenoa said...

I'm very impressed with David's resume. Good for him. Les's pic looks a little little like Orlando Bloom.

Amy said...

I'm catching the vision for next year's ward talent show...

Aimee said...

Let's be honest...who doesn't enjoy watching Christian Bale do pelvic thrusts?

PS Hi Chenoa! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Brian said...

FYI: Kenny Ortega is a semi-regular director on Gilmore Girls.

ego non said...

Did you know Divine Comedy did a Newsies based skit called "Zoobies?" It's oh, so funny and you can watch it on their website. I think you'd really like it.