Sunday, May 18, 2008

It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt

The title of this blog is usually something that would be said to children playing a semi-dangerous game. For me it happens with any game.

Last night is a perfect example. Our ward had a BBQ/bonfire and after dinner there was group that went to play games. We played red rover and a girl named Malissa came running over and tried to break between Dave Bonnie and I. I don’t know how it happened but we ended up close lining her. Her neck hit our arms and she went flying. She flew up and landed on her back hitting her head on the ground. Luckily she did not get a concussion, just a slight head ache. I felt so bad. Dave Bonnie and I picked her some flowers and sang a really horrible sounding song comprised of the term "I'm Sorry" over and over in various keys.

These sorts of experiences seem to happen to me a lot. Another example happened a few years ago at a family reunion. We were playing soccer and I cleared the ball down the field. Right at that moment a 2-year-old with a sucker in his mouth wandered onto the field. Luckily he was fine. While these two instances don;t technically suggest a pattern I am sure there are many more that, as a defense mechanism, I can’t remember right now. Maybe I am cursed. Let me know if I any of you have incurred bodily harm as a result of playing a game with me.

Here are the main characters of this story:

Protagonist: Malissa

Unfortunately she was not on the phone while playing read rover so I can't project any blame on her.


Antagonists: Jessica and Dave

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. Everyone knows Red Rover was invented to separate the weak from the strong. You clearly belong to the latter category and Malissa, well...we'll leave it at that. As long as you're not getting hurt than all is well.

Anonymous said...

I personally am shocked that you and Dave Bonney would gang up on a newly called missionary.

And on another note, why do people play Red Rover in the first place? Don´t people know that it´s meant to hurt you?

Amy said...

I am a little nervous after reading this post. You didn't mention the soccer ball incident before moving in, and it makes me wonder what other secrets you may have hidden in order to procure a place in our apartment.

If we ever have that game night, I think I will veto any outdoor games :)

Kirsten said...

Yes, it was hard growing up with you. You are the antagonist is all of my stories too, Jessica.