Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hiking Solo

Today with my friend Amren and I hiked Maple Mountain and now feel like an eighty year old women as I sit nursing my achy knees. However I would really like to discuss the concept of hiking solo. As a female I don't often contemplate going on long hikes by myself but as we passed or were passed by numerous solo male hikers I thought of what it would take for me to go solo. Here is the list that Amren and I came up with:
  • Satellite phone
  • Bear Spray (for bears and creepy people)
  • Bug Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • GPS
  • Compass (in case the GPS stops working)
  • First aid kit the size of a small child
  • German Shepherd from the local Humane Society
  • Walking stick
  • Change of clothes
  • Sling
  • Flare Gun
  • Gallon of water
  • Food for 2 days
Considering this list it's not surprising to see why I have never gone hiking solo. The list may seem a bit over the top but I need to feel protected from people that not only wear shirts like this but leave them along the trail.


4 comments:

mike and chenoa said...

Such a cute picture of you. I'm terrified of bears so I think I would require a SAM before going solo.

analyn said...

Aw, Jess, you make me laugh and miss you. Hopefully you'll allow me an hour in your presence this Sun!

ego non said...

Ha ha, awesome. By the by, did you see bears?!

Jess said...

Sadly no bears but I guess it is good seeing that I didn't have any bear spray.