Thursday, August 14, 2008

Road Trip Nostalgia

My favorite word lately has been Nostalgia. I do lots of things for nostalgic reasons and have realized that if they didn't create fun stories or blog posts then I wouldn't do them at all. My recent trek in a car with my sister and brother from Washington DC to Utah is a perfect example. I will however focus on the parts of the trip I will tell to posterity for nostalgic reasons, and not the parts where my life flashed before my eyes in the back seat of a Mazda 3 as we drove around corners and plastic bins full of toiletries almost crushed me to death.

My sister Kirsten took us to Great Falls Park, the Virginia side.

Great Falls Park, Virginia.


The Fam sitting in the middle of a lock that was used to transport good around the falls on the Potomac. We weren't actually supposed to be in the lock but the Forrest Ranger agreed to take our picture anyways.

Breakfast at Eastern Market. I ate here a couple of years ago, got the chocolate chip pancakes and had to really search for the chocolate chips. This time they were much more generous.

Poltergeist stairs at Georgetown. I have never seen the movie but my friend Emily told me a priest throws himself down these stais to become depossessed (that may not be a word). Anyways we didn't hang out there too long, I can only repress the urge to reenact for so long.

This picture needs no description needed but we went so late most of the animals were not out so that is why there is a picture of me instead of a cuddly creature.

Somewhere in Indiana. I am pretty sure this particular corn is being used to make both ethanol and high fructose corn syrup.

Carthage Jail. The jail where Joseph Smith was killed.

This can't be confirmed but we believe Joseph Smith drank from this very drinking fountain before entering the prison.

Kirsten and James in front of the Nauvoo temple.


While in Nauvoo we were able to attend what may be one of the best theatrical/musical performances ever, entitled
Riverboats and Mormon Girl Meets Non-Mormon Boy Who Eventually Joins the Church and They Live Happily Ever After Dreams or something like that. I have never seen the wittle and whistle gang so honestly portrayed on stage.

Anyways we made it home safe and sound and I have done enough moving and driving to last a lifetime.

4 comments:

Uncle Billie said...

Cargo,
Not even a picture of Tulsa?

mike and chenoa said...

I agree, I was a little disappointed not to see Tulsa too. But poor Chester, imagine his heartache when he logged on and nada, zip, zilch!

BTW, I just can't comprehend why anyone would ruin a perfectly good pancake by putting chocolate chips in it.

Jess said...

Sorry Billie I realized I didn't take any photos in Chey Town. Thanks for letting us stay. Sorry we didn't get to reminisce about the good old days but you did say you would be home in an hour and came back two and a half hours later:(

As for you Chenoa Chocolate chips make every sweet and semi-sweet thing better, especially banana bread. You should try it:)

Brady said...

That corn is the devil!