Monday, December 5, 2011

A week without a car...day one.

I was informed today that I blew a head gasket in my engine. I really have no idea what that means but it makes your car overheat, is expensive and takes a long time to fix. Hence this week I am without a car and this situation seems like a good writing gimmick. 

One thing I am already learning from this experience is people are great. Within a few hours of finding out I would be without a car for a week I had found rides for the next few days to and from work, to a party and my banjo lesson thanks to coworkers, a visiting teacher and friends. Oh, I almost forgot to mention my great home teacher who picked me up from the mechanic. It's not often that I have to ask people for help--I try to avoid it as I hate to bother people-- but it was really nice to have so many people come to my rescue. They are great examples to me. 

2 comments:

k nelle said...

welcome to the no car club. it's doable, but I'm not going to lie, not always fun. good luck.

Amy said...

When my siblings and I were young and we did something that upset my dad he would always tell us he was about to blow a gasket. It sounded kind of terrifying, but honestly, until I read this blog post it never once occurred to me that a gasket was a real thing that could actually be blown. Huh.

Sorry about your car - good luck going carless!