Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lost


In Detroit.
No, sorry readers, this is not some juicy gossip about the hit show Lost nor the main hotties Jack Shephard or Desmond. This is a story of me being lost in Detroit. I wish I could say it was the first time, but I got lost going to and coming from the Death Cab for Cutie concert, the Tigers game and now a Reach Detroit meeting. My social work field placement for is with REACH Detroit. It is a program that works to prevent diabetes and increase the quality if life for Hispanics and African Americans living in Southwest and East Detroit. The program just got new NIH funding and was having a big meeting at which I was supposed to help.

I recently became very comfortable getting around Ann Arbor-which is a feat within itself because people out here don't even know what the grid system is. Now I have to start over with Detroit. A place I will have been going more frequently as of late.

At this point you may be saying why did you not use Mapquest or Google maps. Well I actually had two set of directions. Google maps sent my to a vacant lot not the high tech health care facility One Ford Place that I was looking for. So then I tried to figure it out from my other instructions and the other ones had got me so lost that those did not help either. After driving through down Detroit too scared to ask anyone directions and having mental breakdown in my car, I called my friend Carissa. She promptly saved the day via telephone guiding me to a place in Detroit from her office in Ann Arbor.

Needless to say I got the meeting almost an hour late feeling very angry and sheepish. However, as I sat and pondered on what had happened, gained some perspective and chilled I was able to be congenial again. Lesson learned, technology is all about leading you to vacant lots (thanks google maps) and friends rock. Thanks Carissa!

The only picture I have is Carissa is her Facebook profile with Gogol Bordello. Hope you don't mind Carissa:)

3 comments:

mike and chenoa said...

At least the technology didn't force you to drive into a lake!

Jess said...

I am glad you got the reference

ego non said...

I'm glad you made it. I would also like to include Sayid in your list of Lost hotties.