Thursday, January 8, 2009

Inferiority Complex


I started this post about inferiority complexes (IC) but got bored and distracted half way through and started reading other's blogs. Considering the amazing posts I have read I now suffer from an even greater IC and will have to overcompensate and make this the best post ever. However, I will inevitably fail to meet my expectation and spiral into a deep, depressive bout of discouragement. To make sense of what I just wrote please refer to this reliable reference source: Wikipedia:) 

An inferiority complex, in the fields of psychology and psychoanalysis, is a feeling that one is inferior to others in some way. Such feelings can arise from an imagined or actual inferiority in the afflicted person. It is often subconscious, and is thought to drive afflicted individuals to overcompensate, resulting either in spectacular achievement or extreme schizotypal behavior, or both. Unlike a normal feeling of inferiority, which can act as an incentive for achievement, an inferiority complex is an advanced state of discouragement, often resulting in a retreat from difficulties.

I have the idea of ICs in mind not only because I occasionally suffer from an IC- don't worry these are usually balanced by my occasional bout of superiority- but also because I have been learning a bit about Scotland that suffers from a national inferiority complex. I am studying up in preparation to visit my sister who is currently living in Edinburgh trying to get in touch with her kilt side. From what I have learned so far it seems that the Scots have some sort of innate inferiority complex as well. Perhaps it is the Scottish part of me that gives into the inferiority and the my English part gives into superiority, since the much of the Scots inferiority seems to stem from their relations with their southern  kin.

Either way I have been watching some Scottish Cinema lately and this national inferiority complex was reinforced. Of the whole 10 movies that the Scots seem to have produced many have strands of inferiority running through them either explicitly or implicitly. For example the well known film, Chariots of Fire, while the actual Scot character seemed fine this Scotish made film's second leading character was always trying to overcompensate for his Jewishness (yes that's a word). Gregory's Girl and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie- two other movies I can't really recommend because of differing rating standards, PG has a whole different meaning in Scotland-also have inferiority as an underlying theme. Now that I am cognizant of this trend I am eager to continue my studies and see if I can't better understand the underlying issues. 

Well now this entry is over and it does not meet my standards so I am going to go drown my sorrowful discouragement and schizotypal behavior in ice cream:)

A Picture of Edinburgh that I stole from my Sister's blog. Sorry Kirst.

7 comments:

Brady said...

Don't forget the innate IC that our favorite Scottish Lostie, Desmond, has. Now that might come from having pushed a button every 108 minutes for 2 years, but who knows...

Kirsten said...

I hate to break it to you, but I have met very few Scot who suffer from an IC. They are proud of who they are, not afraid to show it and are ready to claim independence from the bloody bastards to the south.

Mike said...

So if I've noticed your superiority complex more than your inferiority complex, does that mean when I'm around and you're comparing yourself to me, you suddenly feel superior?

Jess said...

Kirsten: That is exactly what I am talking about. They're bold patriotism is overcompensating for something whether it be less representation in parliament or whatever. This overcompensation is clear symptom of an IC.

Mike: You said it not me.

mike and chenoa said...

Do you think it's related to your petite stature? you know, like short cop syndrome (SCS)?

ego non said...

A few years ago Scotland had the highest teen pregnancy rate in the world. And they were very proud of it. Is that like a simultaneous superiority/inferiority complex? Or perhaps a whole different set of complexes all together.

Stephanie said...

I think the key element of note in this post is your research method. Your phenomenal usage of Wikipedia should overcome any IC that may exist in your exquisite self! After all..."Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information." If you can't guess who said that, I retract my statement about your IC.
And I want some of your ice cream.