Sunday, June 14, 2009

June happenings thus far

I haven't posted a real blog post in awhile and this is my attempt at one but it will take the form of a less-sophisticated photo montage than my UK trip as  I have a lot photos from various things I have done over the last few weeks. 

One of my first DC adventures post UK was going to the zoo. Last August I went to the zoo with my family but we went late in the day when the zoo was about to close so I didn't get to see to many animals so this was on the top of my list. Even better than the zoo was the chance to hang out with my old long-boarding buddy from Provo, Emily. Unfortunately, I never took a picture of her (sorry Em). 

Really cool jelly fish

A very unflattering picture of me and Elephants. 

I thought this was odd and somewhat disturbing. These boys were holding an elephant turd. Emily and I think it had been shellacked or something but still weird that they carry that around for visitors to pose with. 

I am really glad I got to see the pandas because they were not out last year and I wanted to see them.


Last week was stake conference and the stake center is right next to the temple so I decided to take a walk around the temple grounds and visitors center. At one point I found myself in the visitors center crying as I watched Mormon Ads. Those adds are so darn cute. I walked the nature trail around the temple but had to turn back because I got a bug in my eye that I did not actually get out of my eye until 5 hours later. 

Wednesday I went to the temple and I couldn't help taking this picture if only to contrast it with the one above. We have been having some pretty wicked lightening storms here and the sky and clouds take on amazing colors and texture as a result. 

Monday I went up to hill for some meetings and had a few hours in between so my friend Erin was kind enough to hang out with me. Looking at the background you may think we are in Vegas but it is just he tunnel connecting the Smithsonian Cafe to one of the art museums. I will be forever in Erin's debt for introducing me to TangySweet a cultured frozen yogurt place. Their yogurt was super yummy and I have been craving it ever since. Next time I am down in the district going there is at the top of my list. 


Yesterday Dana and I went hiking along the Potomac below the falls. 

Maybe some day I will write about my internship but I have to get some pictures to accompany it and some might be inappropriate for some viewers seeing that a lot of it has to do with breast feeding. 

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hmm, so note to self: if you write about your internship, I probably should just skip to the bottom and write a comment so it looks like I read it.

Kirsten said...

For some good hiking along the Potomac, do a google search on the Billy Goat trail. There are three different segments that make up the trail. Section B is a really good one, but the pictures you post, indicate that you may have already discovered it.

If you are into the TV show the Top Chef, and even if you are not, you should check out Spike's restaurant on Capitol Hill: http://www.goodstuffeatery.com/