Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pleasant Surprise: Kara's Visit

Last week I was pleasantly surprised when my room mate from Michigan, the one and only Kara Stowers came into town for the day en route to a chemistry conference in Germany. I had no qualms asking for the afternoon off and left at lunch time to go tour the District with her. The Smithsonian folk fest is going on, so after a greasy lunch at Five Guys Famous Hamburgers we walked around Mall and the different attractions folkfest attractions. My favorite was the one about Wales. Made me just a little sick for the lovely few days that Amy and I spent in Pembroke, Llandudno and Snowdonia National Park.  


Here we are in the sculpture garden on the Mall. 


Still wading our feet. The other girl is another chemist from Michigan who hung with us for a bit. Sadly I don't remember her name now and didn't really that whole day. 


Kara drinking a limeade. 

Me standing in front of Welsh Scenery.


Two Welsh Children's Poet Laureates teaching Welsh folk songs. 

2 comments:

mike and chenoa said...

I wish I had a limeade right now. That would really hit the spot.

k nelle said...

That was really fun! I'm glad you were able to get out of work! I wish I could remember the polish words to the song - I remember the content though! :)