Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Holiday Ruined

I would just like to personally thank all of the University of Michigan undergraduate students who have forever ruined the St. Patrick's holiday for me. I have never been so uncomfortable wearing green in my life. Yesterday, I got ready for the day and put on some khakis and a black shirt until I realized that it was actually one of my favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day- OK so maybe it just recently became my favorite holiday as I will visit the motherland in May. When I realized this I quickly changed into a green shirt and headed to class. 

As I approached campus I realized my blunder. It was only 11 am and already there were many a beer pong game going on in the front yards of fraternities. For those of you unfamiliar with this game it usually consists of a ping ping table, plastic cups of cheap beer, a group of shirtless male undergrads and a group of female undergrads wearing black leggings, huge black sunglasses and because it was St. Patrick's day, green shirts. 

I wanted to go home and change my shirt but I was going to be late for class, so instead I put on a sweater and made a run past the frats to class. After class was over I went home and changed, there was no way I was going to be associated with the underage drunken debauchery. 
I tried to get some footage of this really drunk kid weaving back and forth across the sidewalk but I was too slow pulling out the camera. That was right about the time that a girl supported by three friends threw up on the sidewalk across the street. Maybe next year I'll just wear orange. 

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Eeeshk! Sorry they ruined your holiday! Ugh. I saw a classmate running out of a pub acting all crazy on St. Patty's Day a few years back. When I mentioned it to him in class a few days later, he had no recollection of the event. It has been many years since I started wearing orange...

mike and chenoa said...

Well, you know, the Irish are big drinkers...

I'm jealous you are going to visit the Emerald Isle.

Kirsten said...

Drinking is was what St. Patrick's day is all about. The ability to hangout in a pub all day long, be inebriated during daylight hours without being labeled an alcoholic, throwing up the green eggs and ham you had for breakfast at the end of the day in a dark dank alley as you stumble home to fall into bed, and wake up the next morning wondering why you have the Irish lion tattooed on your face.