Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Ring to Rule Them All

This Christmas my brother Matt and his lovely wife, Elizabeth decided to spice up everyone's Christmas by roving the aisles of the dollar store and carefully selecting pertinent gifts. For me they picked out a diamond ring toy that grows 600 X it's size when immersed in water (see picture below, though it hardly is 600X it's original size). 

I was not sure what to make of the gift, were they trying to tell me something? Was is a gift of hope that I may some day receive a real diamond ring? Or a gift of pity? (actually, either way I will never have a diamond ring because I am somewhat morally opposed to them, and I lose rings all the time so I don't think putting something that expensive on my hand is a good idea). I am still unsure of Matt and Liz's intentions but I do believe this expanding little ring has special powers.

I started the growing process February 21, 2009. Exactly a week later at approximately the same time that I started the growing the ring, my room mate became engaged. A coincidence you say. I think not! I think the ring, while not the sole predictor of the engagement- I'm not that superstitious- was the catalyst. If not for this little ring, and its ability to grow 600 X it's size, Maggie would be having a dreary winter wedding instead of an ideal June wedding. All hail the magic growing ring!


3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Amazing. And what about the Bachelor??!!!??? Coincidence that he broke up with and took back the diamond ring he gave Molly so that he could turn around and give it to the girl he really loved, all on national TV? I think not. Your ring has powers for both good and evil, use them well.

BTW, I am right there with you on being morally opposed to diamonds.

mike and chenoa said...

I wish I had been socially-aware enough to hate diamonds when I got engaged. I promise to never acquire another.

Elizabeth said...

the ring would have real power if when you put it in water at the beginning of the week - your roommate met her mate-to-be - to only be engaged at the end of the week. That would be a cool story.